Minors in Possession (MIP)

Mt. Pleasant Underage Drinking Defense Attorney

Experienced with MIP Laws in Michigan

Underage drinking on college campuses is common - and Central Michigan University is no exception. To many students, underage drinking may not seem like a crime worth punishing. The fact is though; criminal charges related to underage drinking, such as Minor in Possession of alcohol (MIP) charges can have serious consequences.

At the Law Office of James D. Veldhuis, P.C., we have 35 years of legal experience defending people accused of violating the MIP laws. Contact our offices today to schedule a confidential consultation with an experienced lawyer.

We can effectively defend clients facing a wide range of criminal charges, including:

  • Minor in possession of alcohol
  • Minor consumption of alcohol
  • Hosting a nuisance party
  • Possession of a fake ID
  • Drug possession
  • Drunk driving (DUI/DUIL)

Preserving Your Record, Protecting Your Future

Criminal defense lawyer James Veldhuis provides skilled representation that is tailored to your individual circumstances. The tactics vary, based upon any prior criminal history and other factors.

  • 1st offense: Most first-time offenders are eligible for a diversion program. If the program is adequately completed, the underage drinking charges would be dismissed without being placed on your criminal record.
  • 2nd offense: Second-time offenders are not eligible for the diversion process. However, our ultimate goal is to preserve your criminal record. We evaluate the circumstances to determine why you were interrogated, asked to take a breath test, or searched. We evaluate probable cause and strive to negotiate a favorable outcome.
  • 3rd offense: A third offense conviction for violation of the MIP laws could result in incarceration. We investigate and challenge prior offenses and strive to negotiate a reduced sentence or dismissed charges.

Contact our MIP Defense Attorney

Whether you received a MIP charge during a college party or your minor child received an underage drinking ticket, we can help. Contact our offices to schedule a confidential consultation with a skilled attorney who is familiar with the MIP laws in Michigan. We will work diligently to preserve your criminal record and fight aggressively to protect your rights.