Post-Divorce Modification

Mt. Pleasant Divorce Decree Lawyer

Skillfully Representing Clients in Post-Divorce Proceedings

A divorce decree is intended to establish the final terms of an ongoing relationship between separating spouses. However, sometimes life circumstances change and the original arrangements may become unworkable.

If you want to seek a modification of the terms of your divorce decree, come to the Law Office of James D. Veldhuis, P.C., in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. Although we generally work to resolve family law disputes through negotiation or mediation, we are always prepared to take cases to trial.

Contact our offices today for a free initial phone consultation regarding seeking a change in child custody, spousal maintenance (alimony) or child support. In certain circumstances, you may also be able to bring a motion to modify the property settlement if your spouse intentionally hid assets or failed to disclose marital property at the time of your divorce.

Effectively Handling All Types of Modification

For 35 years, attorney Veldhuis has been providing skilled legal representation for individuals with a variety of family law concerns. He has the knowledge and experience necessary to effectively seek modification of the terms of an existing divorce decree.

  • Child support: In Michigan, child support levels are routinely reviewed following a change in employment status. If you or your child's other parent has received a significant promotion or loss of salary, you may be eligible to change the amount of child support paid or received.
  • Child custody: The courts want children to have stability in their lives and do not readily change custody awards. In order to bring a motion to change custody, you must first show that there has been a "significant change in circumstances." I can help you determine whether the changes in your family's circumstances may support a change in custody motion. To determine whether or not a child custody arrangement should be modified, the court will consider a variety of factors, such as each parent's ability to care for the child and the health of each parent. Ultimately though, the most important factor is the best interests of the child.
  • Relocation: With the current economic downturn, many people are finding it necessary to leave the state to secure employment and protect their families. Generally custodial parents are not allowed to move more than 100 miles away from non-custodial parents - but if such relocation will provide employment and health benefits, the court may be willing to permit relocation.
  • Property division: Although generally courts are not inclined to modify the terms of property division established in a divorce decree, they may make modification is there is evidence of fraud during the initial division. For example, if your spouse misrepresented the value of a pension plan or hid assets, you may be able to successfully modify the original terms of your property settlement.

When you bring your legal concerns to our offices, we will take the time to understand your circumstances and to answer all of your questions. We provide personalized attention, to ensure that we are working toward the solution that is best for you and your family. Our clients appreciate our exceptional commitment to providing quality services.

For all of your family law concerns, contact our offices to speak with an experienced lawyer today.